Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Hero for the Month: SEARS & CO.

I'm a believer in giving credit where it's due and the credit this month goes out to Sears Roebuck and Co. Did you know...well, you know what? Why don't I just let you see for yourself what they're up to:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your support for our actions regarding our associates who have been called into active duty. As you may have read, Sears has extended its program of military pay differential to 60 months. This includes allowing Sears reservists who are full-time employees to continue participating in the company's life insurance, medical and dental programs, if they choose. The company will also hold a comparable position for these individuals for up to five years.

Sears has a heritage of commitment to families and home. This is a difficult time for military families, and we are proud to be able to take these actions to demonstrate support for our many co-workers who are serving our Nation.

Again, thank you for your correspondence. We appreciate your interest in our efforts, and hope you will continue to make Sears your choice for quality and value. Sears, Good Life. Great Price.

Sincerely,The Employees of Sears, Roebuck and Co.

As if what they do for the families on Ty's show, MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION, isn't doing enough; as if what they've been doing for the citizens in New Orleans who lost everything to the hurricanes isn't enough, now they gotta go and support our Service-Men and -Women, too? I was so impressed that a big company like this would be so supportive of their employees in this day and age. Before my typically jaded nature could raise it's ugly head and say, "Yeah, well, they're smart; they don't want any 747's tearing through their tower in Chicago," I literally felt a few tiny shards of icy cynicism break off and melt after reading about how Sears was pro-actively supporting their people. I mean, five years? I could pop an eleven pound kid out a hole smaller than a pea and I'd be lucky to get three months outta the deal, but you know that I'd best not come back thinkin' I'm gonna get my job back, as in the same job I had when I left to pop out this noisy, wriggling, squealing sucker, nor it's equivalent, when I return.

No, if I want my job back, then I'd better figure on taking no more than a month's maternity leave, at most, before heading back to claim my kingdom, or principality. Well, ok, so maybe it's more like a municipality.... Village? Right, well, ok, in all honesty, it was probably like a tent, or even a tree stump. Whatever. Now, I'm going to start supporting Sears so they'll continue doing this for theirs, yeah? :) How about you? Have you heard of any major companies, Sears-size, who're pledging their patriotic support in various ways to their reservist employees? If so, leave a comment and tell us what you know. I'll do some research to double check the facts and will post them next month and we'll have a kind of Christmas shopping directory of places that give back to those who lay their lives on the line for us.

Thanks Sears and please, continue setting the example, taking the lead and show us how it's done.

SEARS. GOOD LIFE, GREAT PRICE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home